Sunday, January 18, 2009

Laughter to a Mom's Ear

Last night, all the kids were home. Mackenzie’s boyfriend Matthew and Chase’s friend Tybee were over, as well. After dinner, The whole gang was upstairs, just “hanging out” together.

I had just snuggled in to read one of my new mystery books, when I heard a loud burst of laughter coming from upstairs. It made me smile. A few minutes later, another burst of laughter. Another smile. This continued for a while. Jack walked in and saw me with a huge smile on my face - he was smiling, too.


He said “It makes you happy when they’re happy, doesn’t it”. “Yes….very,” I replied.

I wonder…. do they have any idea - as they hang out upstairs, laughing together – how wonderful they are? Do they know how much joy they bring me just by being.

Do they know that the sound of their laughter is my favorite sound in the whole world.

Do they know that when they’re happy – I am happy. And when they’re sad – I am sad.

Do they know how I am tempted to run upstairs and lock the door – keeping them there, together. Warm, and safe and happy. Laughing. Surrounded by love. Where nothing bad can ever touch them.

Do they know that every time I hear them laugh, I smile.

Do they know that small, simple moments like they’re living right now, are really the most precious ones in life.


I wonder -
Do they know how much I truly love them. Do they really know….


1 comment:

Robin said...

Someday, when they are parents, they'll know. =)